Note -- my intention was to post this several days ago, but sometimes you just have to take the time you have when you have it, even if you end up making two posts at the same time. We will pretend that I wrote this on Friday, August 29th.
Today was another marvelously unproductive day. With Dad coming in this afternoon, I actually had ambitions to try to clean up around the house. Generally, when company comes to stay with you they at least like to have a clean bathroom. But it was not to be. Lily wasn't going to have it.
She started the day with a sleep strike. It wasn't a problem, but she just wasn't interested in taking a nap. It was actually pretty cool. She was happily awake for most of the morning. We had some tummy time with Lily on her play mat and mama shaking a little ladybug to catch her attention. And Lily hung out with me while I got dressed, brushed my teeth, and curled my hair. She was perfectly happy sitting in her bouncy chair next to the mirror, looking at her reflection. I even got to put her in the baby carrier for about a half an hour, and she got to go with me while I started picking up the house. But she doesn't hold her head up on her own yet, and she gets mad when her head is in the carrier, so I had one hand on her head while I was cleaning. And one-handed cleaning isn't terribly effective.
Eventually, it was time for Lily to eat again, and she fell asleep when her tummy was full. I put her down and went to get my own lunch. No sooner was I done with my own lunch and she was awake again. I rocked her back to sleep, put her down, and before I knew it, she was awake again. So I held her and she slept. After about an hour, I put her down. And you guessed it, she woke up again.
So by the time Dad got here to meet his granddaughter for the very first time, she was asleep in my arms, as she had been for the second half of our day. The kitchen was a mess, the bathrooms still need to be cleaned, and my bedroom looks like the cliched tornado struck, but I got to spend my afternoon laying on the sofa holding my sleeping baby girl. I'm definitely gonna miss days like this.
No comments:
Post a Comment