Sunday, January 26, 2014

Baby's first haircut - at the Magic Kingdom

A few months ago, I started planning Brendan's first birthday party. I also started thinking about how we really should go to Disney World for a couple of days -- just to have a little family vacation. I'm not especially good at math, but it didn't take me too long to figure out that we would have to make a choice between these two things. Is there really a choice? 

So then we started planning our little Disney getaway, and as it was to celebrate Brendan's birthday as much as anything else, we made sure there were a few special things just for him, including his first haircut. 

Where else but on Main Street, USA, there is a small barbershop, complete with a stripey pole. 
First thing to know about this place: it is very, very small. And busy. I was glad to have a reservation. I'm not entirely sure what I had in mind, but I thought it would be bigger and have more Disney to it. It had an old-time feel, but it wasn't a whole lot different than any other hair salon. 

But they obviously have some experience with little ones, especially those not so brave ones like mine. They have a three-fold approach. 

First the distracting toy.
Second, sticker-bomb the tot.
Third, bubbles.
It worked.

He started out a little nervous, but the stickers and Minnie's twirling skirt did a pretty good job of keeping him busy.



Lily took her job of keeping him happy very seriously.


Then they topped the whole thing off with a touch of the Disney I was expecting -- this was my favorite part.
Followed by my least favorite part. Here he is, with his brand new haircut. Am I wrong, or is really not a baby anymore? 
I'll be under my covers, crying, if you need me. 

1 comment: