Saturday, January 29, 2011

Christmas (yes, really, still) v. WI, part 2

I still hope to be caught up with Christmas before Valentine's Day. And I realize it's rather self-indulgent to continue go through every detail of the Christmas season like this, but meh. I'd say it's because I took too many pictures that I loved and wanted to share them, but the truth is most of the pictures below, well, they're not great. Especially the night shots. I don't know what I was trying to accomplish with them, which is probably why they really didn't turn out well.

So I guess it's just the stories and the memories that I want to write down and keep. And share.

So Christmas v.WI was about more than Christmas -- there were many celebrations this time. Starting with my dad's retirement. Knowing that his colleagues were planning a more appropriate sendoff, we still wanted to do something with the family.

So we had a little gathering-round-the-kitchen-island and recognized an impressive career.



Shortly following the retirement party, we recognized Christmas, a bit belatedly. One of the best things about Christmas at Dad's house is that for just a little while, everyone sits down together. Even Louise.

Not that we sit quietly, of course.
And this year, there was even a little dancing.
And some sharing of the latest toys.
Greta was not impressed.
Lily was more impressed with balloons.
Of course, the main attraction of the sitting-down-not-so-quietly was the exchanging of gifts.
Socks!
For socks!
With everyone feeling sufficiently spoiled, the next day was time for more celebrations. (I think it was the next day. I honestly don't remember. Vacation days just blur, y'know.)

Anyway, celebrations. This time it was Great Grandma Rain's birthday. Fruit pizza is a delicious and respected birthday tradition in this house.


Lily approved.
The very last holiday we celebrated is the very last holiday of the year: New Year's Eve. Jenjamin, Lily, Khan, and I went to Irvine Park to see the lights.

I kinda gave up trying to take pictures of the lights and then tried to take pictures of people. At least I had good subject matter.

For the record, Jen is very short. Ben is very tall. I am very impressed. It is more impressive because we were standing on glaze ice thanks to some freezing rain.
We walked to the pavilion. (Well I baby-stepped holding onto my brother so I didn't fall. Jen carried Lily because Khan and I both wore what my dad calls "Mickey Mouse shoes" that are "no good for winter.")

Back at home, our New Year's Eve party crowd had dwindled to just the five of us plus Dad. Everyone else went to bed. It was a long time til midnight, so we spent much of the evening playing pool.

Lily played with Dad's toy cars. Yes, I know that good parents would've put their kid to bed by this point. Just wait, though. Judge me for the rest, instead. It's much better. :-)
As it got closer to midnight, we all went outside in the cold.
To play with fire. Fireworks. Well, just sparklers.
Ben got a little crazy.

Dad had fun.
Jen did a dance.
And Lily just took it all in, and tried to figure it out.
By the time we came in, the new year was almost here. I searched the channels for the countdown. And we waited.
Then, just as the last few seconds of one year passed, Jen picked Lily up to time travel with her. Apparently, she does this every year. She jumps from one year and lands in the next.

Unfortunately, Khan got a little caught up in the time traveling, and I was just in the wrong spot.
Oh well. The time travel opportunity will come again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment