Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Swim, baby, swim.

We've kind of tossed around the idea of infant swim lessons before. I looked into it a little bit, but I couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I found the "throw your baby in the water and see if she's a witch and watch her survival skills kick in stuff, " but I really just wanted to play and get comfortable in the water. Then, summer went away and it backburnered in my mind.

Then we went Disney, went to the pool to cool off, and got a lesson in the fearlessness of toddlers. So, we came home, called the Y, and got her signed up in the tadpole class.

Khan got in the pool with her, and I came along with the camera. They both smiled for the camera. But not at the same time.




Then class started. First, they just splash around.
Then, they blow bubbles.
Next up, the backfloat.




Flip! Then it's time to hold baby and let her "swim." Rubber duckies are the prize.


Look at my little fish go!

Between camera clicks, I heard the teacher explain the purpose of the class as just trying to get kids and parents comfortable playing together in the water, so that when they are old enough to really learn to swim, they're ready. This is the class I was looking for. Next up they played the "humpty dumpty" game. All the kids lined up on the wall, and the parent encourages them to "jump" in. Yup, under water and all.
Gulp.
See that kid next to Lily? Not a fan of this game at all.
Lily, on the other hand...
One...
Two....
Three!
I couldn't beleive it. She loved it. She wanted to go over and over again. Khan could barely get ready before she flung herself in the water.
"She's fearless," I said to Khan.
"Yeah, but I'm scared," he said.
Yup, me too, baby.

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya! Cam is stupid fearless, to the point where she is dangerous because she just jumps in and then has no idea what to do. We took swim class at the Y too, and it definitely helps. It's great she isn't scared though, she'll be easier to teach that way. Did you post edit these pics, or was the water really that blue? It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fearless Lily....but adorable. That's great that you guys are taking her to swimming lessons! Perhaps she can teach Connor and Pearl and auntie Joy to swim too, one day :) Ok, when are we coming over for lessons by you, Khan and Lily?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! (and hard for me to take them in bright light; what's the trick? you soon-to-be photo Einstein, you!) She's so cute, and loves water SO much! That's a good thing, as I can tell you because I so don't like it now, and I really don't know why. I think it's the whole vision thing with me. Whatever. Lily is a fearless fish -- and I'd be nervous, too! But she'll do fine!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, and I forgot to say you had me laughing over the lined out "to see if she's a witch." I guess with little ones, sometimes you have to wonder... changeling? Witchlet? No, just a strong-minded individual, and that is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete