Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Nana's in town, holiday weekend, and big plans. What could go wrong?

It started out predictably enough. Nana arrived. Nice evening at home.

If this were a horror movie, this would be the scene where I accidentally prick my finger and a drop of blood falls to the ground as a foreshadow.

The morning started just fine. I was packing bags to go to the beach. Nana and Lily played with her sticker book.


Then there was the meltdown. Meltdowns are common in my house, but this one was very long, unprovoked, and very intense.

When the meltown finally ended, we stepped outside and I noticed Lily's goo-eye, picked her up for a closer look, and whaddyaknow, there's a fever, too. Score one for the horror movie.

So, instead of the beach, we went to the pediatrician's office. I mean that's almost as fun, right? (No, I don't take her to the doctor for every single thing. She's also had weird outbreaks of hives lately, so I already had an appointment to bring her in and I just moved it up.)

Back at home, Lily's fever had subsided and she was doing well. We had some fun in the backyard. Not the evening we had planned, but not terrible.


The next day was better. We went to the beach and we had a fantastic time. I wish I had some pictures to show you, but I killed the camera, so I had to relax and just enjoy.

Lily chased waves, splashed in the water, and filled her bucket with sand. Mom and I floated in the gulf. Khan fell asleep on the beach. It was great. Score one for us.

Saturday morning we had a date with Elmo, Big Bird, and B-list friends.

Generally, it went quite well but with a couple of snags.

It was hotter than piss. Look, I'm melting.
Lily enjoyed high fives and nose-patting with the characters, but she was not into hugs. Sorry, Bert.
Mom got mauled by Cookie Monster. But she got away eventually. Breakfast was a win. Score another one for us.
We spent the rest of the morning at Busch Gardens. Lily played in the sprayground.
And she went on her first ride all by herself. Sniffle.

Did I mention it was hot? When we came to Oscar's Swamp Stomp, we all got in and cooled our feet.

Saturday night Khan and I had our semi-annual date night. We went to dinner and a movie and it was WONDERFUL. Thanks, mom. Another point for us, I think.

But the horror movie was going for the home run. We all woke up the next morning perfectly fine. And then there was vomit.

And more vomit. Sleep, vomit, laundry, vomit, sleep, vomit. Khan and I took turns holding Lily while she slept and being puked on when she woke up. The poor baby. The horror movie got the grand slam.

About 24 hours later, Vomit was gone, and although there were no more fun outings planned, Nana and Lily had fun playing at home.

They played with the water table.

They played with cups.
They played with Little People and blocks.

And bubbles!

Hurray for Gymboree for making bubbles fun in my house!
By the time the trip ended, while most of our plans had evaporated, we did get some quality time together. And that's what it's all about.

3 comments:

  1. Awe it's great to know you all had some quality time (Your mom and Lily, you and Khan, and all 4 of you) despite the vomits and fever and all. Again, love these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a horror movie, just a few horror moments! I wish I could visit too. I'm afraid if I came to see you all, SOMEONE might have another agenda. I'm so sorry Lily was so sick; I hope she's feeling better. And I'm really glad that Nana and Lily love playing together. Our Grandma played with us, some. Not so much, but some. Lots of stories! Hope next week will be better, so you don't keep melting! Thanks for all the pictures! (And hey, Cookie Monster is my kind of guy!)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, your blog is a hoot! What a great record...perfect to transform to journaling for your scrapbooking! ;)

    Nicole (from NW Tampa Scrappers)

    ReplyDelete