Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Gardening

Lily and I decided to go to Lowe's and get some plants to replace the last ones I killed.
First up, we decided to fill the little planter outside her house. I showed her how to scoop out some dirt and start filling her little flower garden.

Sometimes she missed. But it's OK because she wasn't too good at filling her cup all the way up.
Finally the flowers were planted.
And we moved on to the herbs. We planned to surprise Daddy with a new herb garden!
By this time, we had made a pretty good mess, but eventually we planted cilantro, rosemary, and sweet basil.
Once all the plants were in place, it was time to water them.

And we watered them some more.
And a little more.
You know how they say you're supposed to talk to your plants to encourage them to grow? It seems Lily got the memo. With all the plants in their new homes and their thirst quenched, Lily told them "happy happy happy." What a silly girl.

She was happy to sit in the swivel chair, but she did not want me to put the flowers by her for a picture. Why? Hell if I know. She just didn't like it. Clearly.

So Kitty sat in the chair instead. And Lily decided to spin her in the swivel chair. Kitty was not a fan of that game.
You would think she would just jump down, but she didn't. But that's OK, Lily kicked her out. I would help Kitty out in these kinds of situations, but frankly, she can hold her own if she wants to. If she chooses to take it, well, that's her business, and after she woke me up at 5 am, I'm not inclined to help her.
Kitty got her revenge and started munching on the rosemary.
Lily scolded her and said "no, no, no, bubba."

Kitty ignored her, of course.

By the way, to all the plant lovers out there: if I kill these plants, I promise to never try to grow live plants again. Or at least, I plan to wait a very long time and think about what I did before I kill more plants.

2 comments:

  1. I miss Helen!

    and Lily is getting so big--what a sweetie.

    OK, I miss all of you!!!

    xoxo, feliz fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like Lily is a garden baby! Don't give up if these plants die. Remember that although your Grandma Orser was quite good at growing plants, your mother and her sisters (including me) have the "thumb of death" when it comes to house plants, anyway. And since returning to the great white northland of Dakota, I've been having a terrible time keeping roses alive (they did so well in Nevada...). If Lily keeps talking to her plants, watering them, and keeping "Bubba" the Kitty out of them, she'll be a fine gardener some day! And if all else fails, do what my neighbor does: she gets plastic flowers from Hobby Lobby and puts them out each spring. From across the street, I can hardly tell they're fake! Happy week! I miss you and Lily and Khan. And Ben. And Erik. And I don't know if I can see you in July; my manuscript is due July 30. Your mom said to pretend the deadline is June 30, but if that were so I might have to slash my wrists, and that would not be good. Kimikotheakita at blogspot would love a visit from you...

    Lori

    ReplyDelete