Sunday, October 5, 2008

Time well spent


Well, Lilies, this is it. Mama goes back to work tomorrow. And just when I thought I was prepared for this, well, I'm not. I don't know how I thought I was ready for this. 

This week is Daddy's week at home with you. I'm not sure what you'll do all day. Daddy says he's going to bring you in to visit me at work, and he thinks maybe you'll go to Busch Gardens to stroll around for a while. Whatever you do, I'm sure that it'll be a good week for you -- and a very special week for Dad. 

But I guess this is the end of our very special time. Of course we'll have plenty of wonderful times in the future, I know that. But these last 10 weeks are just, well, it's hard to describe. For me, it was the time when nothing else mattered. My house was a disaster most of the time. We often had cereal for dinner. My plants almost died. Most days I never even got out of my pajamas. (You usually did, though, because of a diaper disaster, a spit-up mess, or the time Mommy got chocolate on you.) 

I've been assured by mothers who've done this before me that it gets easier. Every day will get a little easier, they say. I'm counting on that, and I'm trying to focus on the positive aspects of our situation. It will be nice to have a paycheck again. Supposedly, day care will help you develop social skills, among others. I know there are benefits, and I'm sure the time will come when I can see those more clearly. And I just hope that day comes real soon because right now, it's killing me. 

Hard as it is, I'm going to have to go to work tomorrow. We have bills to pay, blah blah blah. I couldn't stop this day from coming -- it's just the reality of our life. But in ten years, I can look back and know that for ten weeks, my house was a disaster, we had cereal for dinner, the plants somehow survived, and I held my baby as often and as long as I could.

2 comments:

  1. Talk about a messy house! You should look at mines! Every time I gather toys in the toybox, it's out on the floor again! What's the use sometimes....About going back to work. I know it's going to be hard for you. But with your trust in the daycare, it makes it alot easier...and the daycare you will have her in seems very great! Knowing that, it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How was your first week back? I hope well. I did not handle the transition very gracefully. tons of emotions and it sucks. However, what worked best for me was every time I had a negative thought, I'd close my eyes and think of 5 things that my family was blessed for, took a deep breath, opened my eyes, and smiled. and it does get easier;) Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete