Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Baby's first shuttle launch



Saturday afternoon, Khan, Ivan, Tere, and I got in the Altima and drove across the state to Kennedy Space Center to see the shuttle Discovery launch. With few launches on Saturday afternoons and few launches before the program ends, we figured we should take the opportunity while we still have it.

We didn’t have a good spot; we were near the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center, which is a ways from the launch pads. It was as far as people were allowed to go in this area, but I think there are better viewing areas along the beaches nearby. Live and learn, right?

Traffic wasn’t great, but it could’ve been worse. The worst part was how hot it was. I had figured we’d stay near the car, but we had to get out and walk to get a better view. There was very little shade and a lot of people, so it made for a really uncomfortable, sweaty hour of waiting before the launch.

The launch itself was pretty cool. We couldn’t see it at first because we were just too far away and the big crowd of people, but it was thanks to the Hummer that parked right in front of us at the last second that really obstructed our view. As though I needed another reason to hate those things.

But we did see it as it got higher and higher until it was out of sight. We felt the ground shake a little, and we could hear the loud rumblings – even over the Hummer and the police noises. So there it is, another thing we can check off life’s to-do list.

The highlight of the day for me, though, was our stop at Ikea on the way home. As we were walking through the home office section, I said, “Do you think they’ll have a nice chair for about $30?” I was kidding, of course, but lately my scrapbooking chair had gotten so uncomfortable that it just pisses me off and then I get so crabby that I can’t do anything. But at the same time, really isn't money for a new chair right now. And that’s when we found the Handsley. Or Hanselby. Or something like that. And it was perfectly comfortable with a nice high back – for $29.99. I heart Ikea.

No comments:

Post a Comment