Tuesday, November 27, 2012

An Instagram tale of woe and engineering triumph.

First, I interrupt my dated stories of summer to bring you something seasonally relevant.

Second, for the tech-impaired (i.e, Dad), Instagram is photo app for smart phones that I recently learned is actually meant for sharing photos and not just snapping shots with cheesy edits. The app because the best camera you have is the one you have with you, and the edits because why not.

Moving on. So Husband and I have this tradition that we started back in 2005 when we got our first tree together. (Not surprisingly), we were at Target getting a bunch of generic filler ornaments, and we decided that we needed to fill our tree with something unique, too. So that year, we each picked the ornament of our choice from Target. The tradition stuck and became one of my favorites, as is the whole putting up the tree thing. And when you have a favorite anything that you look forward to all year, well, you build expectations.

All was well when we got to Target this year. I was actually in a good mood, and Lily was doing OK. (Khan is always OK.) I found two that really needed to go together: An ugly recliner and a camera – the two things I felt I needed before having another baby. Perfect, right?
Meanwhile, over by the princess-themed ornaments, Lily found a pink and purple castle and quickly decided on it…until she saw a fugly “princess” ornament with a crown. Then she wanted both, and I had to tell her that we only get to pick out one because that’s the tradition. With two ornaments in my hand, I told her this.

So of course she wanted two like Mommy. Oh, fine, then. So I tried to lead by example, and I put the ugly recliner back and kept the camera.

My example was not enough. Suffice it to say she chose the castle, but it ended badly. Not the happy joy of picking out one all of our own that I had in mind, but I was still determined not to let it ruin my magical Christmas tree experience. And I was pretty proud of myself for that.
Fast forward to Sunday evening when we were decorating our tree. Lily asked and asked for our Target ornaments, and finally I grabbed them, and a couple of small pieces of glass fell out of the bag. Pieces of my camera ornament.
Me: “Baby, can you fix it?”
Khan: “Um, no…what do you think I could do?” Probably wondering how stupid I really am.
Me: “Well, can we break the rest of this part?”
Khan: “Um, no…it won’t break clean.” Seriously, woman, how stupid are you?
Me: *sadz*
Lily: “Mommy, do you want to share my castle with me?”
Khan and Me: *heartmelt*


Me: *Sits on couch and pouts*
Khan: “We can just pick up a new one.”
Me: “But...but…but…”
Lily: “I have an idea! You are goin’ to love it.” Runs off. Returns with paper, tape, and scissors.

Lily: “Just wait. You will love it. Just wait.”
Khan and Me: *just kind of sit and stare at our kid.*

First, she starts cutting some small pieces of paper.


Then she starts taping them together.

Khan: “I think I know what she’s doing.”

Me: *confused*

Then it begins to take shape. She constructed something of a cap to cover the broken area. When she was finished, she stuffed it with some tissue paper. Then she put the whole thing on top of the broken area, and taped it on securely.

Me: “I knew she would be smarter than me, but I thought that would happen later.”
Khan: *impressed*

Me: “Yeah, I’m pretty sure she’s got some engineer in her.


And no sooner than those words came out of my mouth and she was drawing plans so I would know how to fix it myself next time.


Seriously.

(My favorite part is the heart that means Mommy is happy.)

3 comments:

  1. What an adorable story this is!!! Lily is such a cool kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She ROCKS! You got a pretty awesome girl there;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way Lily is always ready to share. What a marvelous trait in a child, especially at an age when many are, well, not ready to share. She did a wonderful job on the camera ornament; you should be proud. And I wish I was at your house right now because I'm FREEZING and I miss you all! And Nana too!(I even miss Kitty and i barely know Kitty!) Lily is smart and cool both, and she does rock. An amazing, wonderful, awesome child, and I love her. Best of all, I'm related to her! (that recliner ornament could have won our annual contest... I have no entry this year; couldn't find an ugly ornament! Maybe tomorrow I'll do a thrift shop run!(

    ReplyDelete