Thursday, November 8, 2012

In which Ben and Jen get married for realz.

Even though most of these photos aren't mine, I think this is a story worth sharing. I'm betting you've never seen a wedding quite like this one. This is the story of my little brother's wedding to his beautiful wife, Jen.

(As for the photos, most of these are the wedding photographer's. I have a few, but there's a reason people hire a professional to take photos. His are watermarked, and he did a fantastic job. If you know anyone who needs a photographer in the Bellingham area, here's his link.)

First, I got to do something I never imagined I'd do with Jen. She wanted me to curl her hair. Fortunately, she also had someone skilled with hair to come and finish the job. But it was fun while it lasted.

Jen made the corsages and boutonnières. Impressive, no?
The mother of the bride was more than a little emotional. And can I just point out that they were staying in a cabin with bunk beds?
And here comes the groom, Chippewa proud and all.
From here, I'm going to let Lily tell the story. I'm typing, she's talking. With some questions/prompts from me.

"Here come Ben and Jen. They are going to the weddin'."
"Lily's coming to the wedding."

"Lily is the flower girl. I'm going...she's going to the wedding. Putting out leafs."

(She was so adorable and so happy. I'm getting all teary just looking at this picture. Stupid pregnancy hormones.)
"They are watching in the boat."

(Some people stood on the bridge and the rest gathered in various boats around. Because why not.)

"That's Ben and the Funny Guy."

(Their officiant came in character as Will Ferrell as Robert Goulet. He stayed in that character through the reception. Because why not?)
"They are doing paper-rock-scissors. They did it six times. Because they did the same time."

(To decide who would read their vows first, they threw paper-rock-scissors. They tied six times before Ben forced a tie-breaker.)

"Ben is reading his note."

(His vows.)
"Um, she was singin' a song."

(Jen's mom surprised them with a song. I didn't think she'd make it through without crying, but she did great.)
(And then it was time for the rings.)
"Then Piko came because they had to get the rings."

(And she was rewarded with pancakes. Because every wedding should have a pancake-loving ring-dog.)
"They are huggin'."

(And they are husband and wife, and Lily is no longer interested in helping me tell this story.)
And our little family got a little bigger.
After portraits, the bride and groom arrived at their reception in a way that only they could. (Perhaps not surprisingly, this bus belongs to Robert Goulet.)

Everyone brought food to their reception -- needless to say, there was a ton of food. If I learned nothing else from this day, I learned that Ben and Jen are well-loved within their community. Wow.

I also learned where Jen gets her infectious love for life, kindness, and warmth. Her mom is the same, and they are obviously very close. It helps in having to be so far away from my little brother to know that he has family that loves him so much.

Just a note to Jen: I’ve always known that my little brother has a heart that’s too big for him. I knew that when he found the right girl, he would have so much love to give, and he would never hold it back. But I always hoped he would find the right girl who would be able to see it and recognize how rare it is – and never take it for granted. He found that in you, but he found more. He found someone who is just as rare and gives it right back. The two of you are matched perfectly, and I couldn’t be happier for you both.
And note of personal thanks to the newlyweds: Thank you for including Lily in your wedding day. I'm not sure if you would've done that or not if I hadn't been so pushy. (Though I know my brother knows how to tell me to STFU and stay out of it.) That said, I’ve learned since becoming a mother how profound an effect adults can have on children; I’m not sure I ever understood this the way I do now. Lily was so happy and proud to be your flower girl – obviously. She was talking about it constantl for weeks before the wedding, and she hasn’t stopped yet. (She still tells random strangers she was Ben and Jen’s flower girl.) I think your wedding day was one of the best of her life so far – and I’m very sure she’s never felt so special. There is no way I can thank you for giving that to her.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats to Ben and Jen! Their wedding was awesome! Seriously. They arrived to their reception on a bus in a raft?!?! I'm not sure that's been done before. ;)

    Lily was adorable, to boot.

    And your words were too kind about your brother's heart and love for Jena and about the effect adults have on children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a typo. Jen, not Jena, because I stopped and thought. Oh how cute, their names rhyme the first time I typed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of Lily walking over the bridge and throw leaves over her head. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful. I'm bawling over here, and don't even know your brother and new SIL. Congrats to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, you told the story well (and Lily too)!!! Not only was I reading it, I was "feeling" it. Beautiful indeed!!! Just remember, you TOO have a family that loves you (your side and ours)...and this family will keep growing and growing, huh? :) Also much congratulations to Ben and Jen!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate thank you! This was beautiful. I have to go get another Kleenex. . .
    I'm so happy to have you all as my extended family. Jennifer found her perfect match. I should have known Ben's family would be as wonderful as he is.
    Love, Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me feel like I was there too! Tell Lily thank you for helping tell the story, and for being a perfect flower girl! I am pretty sure that there is not going to be any more heartbreak in Ben's life. Ever. Jen is just as wonderful as he is. I love them both, and just wish I'd been able to be there. Jen looked gorgeous, Ben looked handsome, and they both looked totally happy. Bliss. I won't say "in love" because they love, totally, heart and soul. Happily Ever After. (And I love the ring-bearer dog; maybe if one of my weddings had had one, it would have stuck!)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. <3
    Thank you Kate! I'm so excited to have such a wonderful extended family. Growing up I always wanted a sister. Now as an adult, within a couple of years I not only have 2 new sisters (in-law) but 4 brother-in-laws too!

    Thanks again for for all your help, our wedding was truly perfect, we couldn't have asked (or planned) for anything more.

    Looking forward to seeing you, Khan and Lily soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete