Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's a Target tradition

Most traditions are passed from one generation to the next. Others just happen, like our Target ornament tradition.

It started in 2005, which was our first year in our house and the first year we put up a Christmas tree together. We needed ornaments to fill our overpriced 5-foot tree, and where did we go? Target, of course.

We bought some glittery stars, some red ball ornaments, and some white icicles -- you know, lots of filler ornaments. Then we decided that we'd each pick one unique ornament for our tree. I think I got a peace dove, and Khan picked a photo frame.

The next few years went on the same. I tended to get bird or word ornaments, and Khan tended to pick photo frames.

When Lily joined us, Khan decided she "picked" a snow globe snowman ornament because she was smiling at it.

So the tradition continued, and this year, we went to Target to pick our Target ornaments 2009.

I picked a pair of lollipops. I have no idea why. I just thought they were cute. Or maybe I'm still stuck in a lollipop state of mind after the photo failure.
And Khan picked a photo frame. There are lots of cute photo frames, but he picked a chintzy, cheap metal frame. I looked at it with disapproval in the store and suggested he at least find a cute frame this year. Offended, he said, "I like this one. It has the year on it."

"They all have the year on them," I pointed out.

"Well, I like this one," he said and walked away.

Then, the other guy browsing in the same aisle said to me, "I like that one, too."

"You're not helping, " I told him.

"I have to take his side. It's a man-love thing," he told me.

Whatever.
Well then it was Lily's turn. We tried to focus her attention on some of the ornaments and see what she liked. I showed her an Elmo ornament. She liked that. But when she had a chance to look for herself, she went straight for this little dog, called it "Bubba," and held on to it while we were shopping.

Until she dropped it and broke a foot off it. Then I put it in the cart. When she found it at home, she said "Bubba!" and carried it around with her all morning.

So with our new ornaments selected, we started to decorate the tree. Lily was interested in the tree.
But she was fascinated by the ornaments.
It was okay until she started beheading them. You know that little metal or plastic part at the top of the ornament? Well, she loved to pull that off. (Don't freak out, baby-proofers, all of my ornaments have been plastic because I also have a tree-climbing cat.)

Hmmm..."I didn't know that would happen?"
She tried very hard to put them back together. You know, so she could take them apart again.

Before she could destroy them all, we moved on to the glittery stars. It was enough fun just to take them out of the bag and stuff them back in.
In search of more mischief.



Mmmhmm. She's like the cat. She seems to have very little concept of her size relative to the space she's trying to squeeze it into.
And a few pictures just because they're ridiculously cute.
Yes, I know that it looks like there's a tree branch in my husband's eye, but I'm willing to sacrifice that composition blunder so I can catch this cute little expression.

Couldn't resist!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how cute!!! With your great idea, we're doing ornaments that represent us each year. YOu think there's a Barney ornament for Pearl this year? As for the photo frame, I have to agree with Khan. Sorry. I like the one he picked too. And since Connor was born, I've been getting a picture frame for each year to put on with a family photo of us during that year. That's a must for me. Once we get our tree up, we'll see how Pearl will do with it. I know I'll have no problem with Connor. But Pearl...she's a different story. I can see her doing exactly what Lily did....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, I love this, Kate! That's an excellant tradition. We have one too. Each year (after Xmas - I'm a little thrifty and like the sale) I buy an ornament, and I write our names and the year on it. I started it when Chris and I were dating, so we now have 12 ornaments like this, and they now have 5 names on them (dog included) instead of just 2. It's a nice way to commemorate the year, and my tree is getting full fast. Lily will grow to love your tradition. It's what family life is all about!

    ReplyDelete