Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Real men wear pink.


And play with pink kitchens and dollhouses. And wear frilly yellow barrettes.
My mom tells me that when we were small, my little brother would play anything just to play with me. He played with dolls, he played with Barbies, he played with whatever I told him to, and he never cared if it wasn’t “for boys.”

Same thing with Lily’s daddy. If Lily wants him to wear the pink hat, he wears the pink hat and ask for the matching purse. Sometimes he even wears her pink pajamas as a hat. (He’ll probably make me take this one down as soon as he sees it, but I couldn’t help myself. In fairness, though, he was trying to get her to put her pajamas on. Pretty sure the strategy didn’t work.)
So if she wants to have a tea party, he holds his pinky as high as he can and asks for more sugar.

They pose with the giant shoe at the girly salon.

They play with dolls, and they play dress up.


She likes to be the princess who stands on her daddy.


And just because I promised I wouldn't put this on Facebook and it fits so well right here, Uncle Marcus has been know to sport the pink hat, too.

I always wanted my girl. I imagined myself dressing up with her, playing dolls with her, painting my toenails bright pink with her. Strangely enough, I never even thought of how much fun it would be to watch her do these things with her daddy, never caring that these things aren’t “for boys.”

10 comments:

  1. LOVE this post! I can't wait to see Jason in pink hats having tea with Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I echo Joy! Love this! How special little girls are to their daddies. These pictures will make for excellant scrap booking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I played with barbies...so what. I think I even had a cabbage patch kid.

    Nice hat Khan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...both Lily and you are VERY lucky, Kate! hugs to the whole fam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaahh, you got me all teary- such a sweet post. Dignity is way over-rated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's my big brother!! haha...great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful daddy she has, love your stories, this post was so very sweet and loving... your pics are all so sweet! take care, dawn g

    ReplyDelete
  8. this was such a loving post, warmed my heart. you are both so fortunate to have such a great man in your lives. now you have to scrap this;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have an amazing husband (the best in our family!), and both he and Lily will have wonderful memories. Like Nancy, I got a bit teary-eyed. No pink hats on my daddy -- but he took me ice skating, and eventually golfing (!!!!! not that I could golf, but he didn't complaiin...), but I have some good Daddy memories too. I'm glad that Khan takes being a dad (not just a father, but a DAD) as seriously as he does being a husband. He's wonderful. And you deserve someone wonderful!

    ReplyDelete