Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Happy birthday, Kitty.

There are moments in everyone's life, I suppose, when we realize we are in some small way becoming our mother or father.

I recently had one such moment.

Lily and I were enjoying a day at home, and I was thinking about things we could do for fun. It's summer, it's miserable outside, so we're limited.

Then a little (dim) lightbulb flipped on and I thought, hey, let's throw a birthday party for Kitty! Lily really got into our Father's Day celebrating, right?

So we went off to the pet store to get Kitty a birthday present. Then we came home and decorated.


I called Khan and asked him to pick up some cupcakes on the way home.

Cake. That's when I realized it. My mom used to do this, too. Of course, with my baking skills, store-bought cupcakes would have to do. I couldn't make an Andy-cake.

But we did get a special dinner for Kitty. Lily picked out Talapia for her. Kitty looked at the hat knowing that it would be used in an attempt to humilate her at any second. For the moment, though, Lily was content to put the hat on Bear and feed him pizza and binkies.
Later, she tried again. Dad tried to appease her. Kitty won.

Time to hula hoop! Yup, random change of subject? Welcome to my world.
Oh wait, there are treats and presents. Yay!

Presents, Kitty!
Kitty was useless as usual, so Lily and I oepned the presents for her.
Lily discovered the laser pointer.

She then declared it hers.
I tried to explain that it was gift. For Kitty. Not Lily.
She did not like this idea.

Kitty didn't care, though. She played with her other new toys.
And enjoyed a catnip buzz.
But the party wasn't over yet; it was cake time!

And hats!
Hats for everyone. Daddy got to wear the pink one.


3 comments:

  1. Darling pictures! Our dog used to get a birthday party every year...we'd even invite other dogs over. Then, we had kids. Good for you for being able to manage all that and document it! How do your pictures indoors turn out so lovely? Mine look like they were taken in a cave and yours are so light and airy. A God given gift?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the old school picture! and yes, you win a super mommy award ;)
    Saw your email...As I leave on the morning of 30 it'll be a tight squeeze at the very end, but I really want to see you so let the planning begin!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Kitty from me to! Love the pictures! I remember seeing the picture of the Andy cake a long(ish) time ago. OK, not THAT long ago... Just remember that few Moms are as creative in the kitchen as yours is, and was. I couldn't have made an Andy cake (or in my case, a Kato cake or a Kimiko cake). Just because Kimiko got vanilla cupcakes from the grocery store for her last birthday instead of home-made ones doesn't mean I love her any less, and I'm sure that Kitty understands too. And when Lily is a little older, she may learn more about sharing. I could comment here (not about you) but I won't. Looking forward to seeing you! It won't be quite as hot in Minneapolis for you, but it'll be a lot more humid than I'm used to (and Kate laughs hysterically at the thought of humidity in Minneapolis...)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete