Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Life with a newborn


Just like pregnancy, parenthood doesn't start with the easy stuff. (Perhaps there is no easy stuff to parenthood.) But we're slowly (ever-so-slowly) starting to figure it out. 

Before she got here, Khan and I agreed we were a team -- two against one. In record time, she defeated us. Lily wins, every time. We are at her mercy, for whatever she needs, whenever she needs it. It turns out that's what life with a newborn is. For example, this is the third time I've tried to write this post. I started last night, but Lily was hungry, and then we needed to start the sleep cycle. See, the earlier we start the sleep cycle, the more sleep Khan and I will get. We change her, feed her, and put her to sleep. Then we go to sleep. We wake up 2 or 3 hours later when she is hungry again. We change her, feed her, and back to sleep she goes. And then we go back to sleep. Most of the time she goes back to sleep with ease, but not always. Sometimes it takes a little more from us, rocking in the chair, walking around on Daddy's shoulder, whatever it takes. But hey, we've gotten to see some of the highlights from the Olympics live because we're up at 2 a.m. 

So I tried again this morning to write my post. After it seemed like Lily was sound asleep, I put her down and picked up the computer. And just like that, she started getting restless. And then she opened her eyes, and I had to pick her up. It seems during the day, she'll only sleep when I'm holding her. But honestly, holding my baby all day isn't the worst way to spend my time. 

And so we're learning. She lets us know when she needs something and we try to figure out how to make her happy again. More often than not, it's pretty simple: she's hungry. This little piggy likes to EAT. Speaking of which, Lily calls...

No comments:

Post a Comment