Enter Thanksgiving. I failed tremendously at getting pictures of the event, I did manage to get a few photos of these five kids, sitting in a row.
But don't think for a second that I did it all with my own magic. Nope. That magic is called Joy, my sister-in-law. She probably should've been a teacher because she has the magic pixy dust to get 5 kids under the age of 5 to do what she says just because she says. That's power, my friends.
Not that it was easy, even with her magic. Kids at this age need games. They need to be entertained, and they need to have fun. If they aren't having fun, they are outta there faster than you can click.
One of the first games went like this: First, all kids hide under the blanket. Then, some poor unsuspecting aunt, uncle, or grandparent came in and "wondered where they went." Finally, they all popped out from the blanket and "scared" them. Followed by giggles. (It actually was pretty fun.)
At some point, we reach that awkward silence and run out of ideas, we try "hands up, everyone!" And when Magic Joy says do it, they do.
Then I had an idea. A terrible, awful idea involving candy canes and an image from my childhood, from a Christmas movie we've all seen. Can you guess what it is?
It's OK. I'm not offended if you didn't get it. The idea in my head rarely translates well to reality. But it was this: when the Grinch stole the candy canes right from the Who-kids. Basically, this image, sans kid antennae and menacing shadow.
Love it! All pretending to sleep. Thank you, Magic.
But that game only lasts for so long.
So, candy canes up in the air!
Among the various games, bribes, and tricks we played, I got this photo. To me, this one makes it worth all the time and effort. I know this photo will be one of my all-time favorites. While I'm sure there are technical or compositional flaws, to me, it is perfection. Each of them looks beautiful.





I should have been a teacher? LOL.. I think NOT!! But thanks for thinking so! Love the post and the pictures!! Yes, we do need to find more time to get together these days! Before they all grow up!!
ReplyDelete