Friday, December 16, 2011

Just a day in the park.

Rather than drone on about how the events of this post took place months and months ago and I'm so far behind blah blah blah, I'll just pretend that it's my random thought of the day.

So I had this random thought today...about how one of the things I love most about where I live is all the parks in my neighborhood. Take for example this Sunday, from a month not so long ago.

It was the same weekend Lily's cousins were staying with us, and since it was no longer July, it was a lot easier to get out of the house and keep everyone happy. Cheap and easy, we went to the park. Just a short walk and/or tricycle ride, and we're there.

The three of them came up with the idea of using the slide to fall down on each other. They were happy, and nobody was getting hurt, so, meh, it's all good.

They did use the slides the regular way, too. Pretty Lia.
Seriously pretty Lia. This photo has no relevance to the story, but I do love taking pictures of this girl.
Not much later, their daddy came to pick them up, and it was just the three of us again.
Later that same day, we got ready to see the orchestra. The Florida Orchestra has free pops in the park concerts in a few locations, including one close to us. If you know me, and both of you do, you know that real music+wine and munchies+nice weather=a very happy Kate, but the best part of this event is that we can bring Lily.

I mean it's not as though I could take her to the Performing Arts Center and expect her to sit through a concert. Here, she was welcomed and happy, Before the concert, Lily and I peeked in a little closer, and I got to show her cellos, trumpets, big drums, and woodwinds. And that music comes not from the CD player in your bedroom, Lils, but from the people who make it. (I wonder if a CD will be to her what a vinyl record is to me?)
And so we set up our chairs, pulled out the snacks and drinks, and waited for the show.
And that was the end of natural light.
Lily loved the concert. I told her they were going to play Aurora's song. To the world without princess-obsessed preschoolers, Aurora's song is  Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty She danced and danced, and she entertained (annoyed?) those around us.

Speaking of those around us, I'm pretty sure my favorite part of this event is the groups of little old ladies drinking wine and hanging out with their friends. I hope that's me one day. I want to grow old with my husband, yes, but I also hope that I grow old with my friends and we hang out often. I whole-heartedly believe that a few hours spent with friends is amazingly enriching for the soul.

I digress, as usual. These last pictures aren't great portraits, but you want to know why I love them?

No flash. YES. No flash at night. Flash photography was not allowed.
Oh fine then. Want to know the secret to how I did it? We happened to be sitting just behind one of the giant spotlights for the concert. So, while the context of the event is night, my subject (Lily) was right below enough light to take the shot. Notice how Lily's not facing the stage. When she turned away from the stage and toward the light behind us, the light fell on her face, and it was just enough to take a crappy picture or two.
So, poorly done, lots of grain, but no flash. And for some reason, that makes me really happy. Weird.

1 comment:

  1. I get it, I totally do (the no flash happiness lol). That shot of Lily on the slide standing & smiling belongs in a magazine. Love your photos, always have.

    ReplyDelete