Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Babu!

You might know him as Elmo, but to Lily, he is Babu (that's 'ba' like 'bat'). At first she was calling him Bobo, which made a little more sense to me, but now it's Babu. She could watch him all day long, and she'd be just pleased as punch.

Except during the weather episode. She gets very worried about Elmo during the weather episode. When we were watching yesterday, Elmo opened the door and the wind started to blow him away. Her eyebrows crinkled up and she climbed onto my lap. She put her hands up (like "uh-oh') and said, "Babu? Babu? Babu?" It was pretty darn cute. She also doesn't like it when the drawer pushes Elmo off screen, and she doesn't like the tornado that comes to visit. (And frankly, he's pretty scary for Elmo's World, in my humble opinion.)

So, because we're prone to spoiling her silly, we couldn't resist getting her an Elmo. She loves him.


She even sucks his boogers out. Now if that isn't love, I don't know what is, right?


Anyway, even though we're rotting her brain with TV, her language continues to increase. And, of course, it's amazing how much more she can understand than what she can produce. The other day I was walkng around the house muttering about not being able to find my bra. I said, "Where is mommy's bra?" a few times, and before I knew it, Lily showed up with my bra. Not the one I was looking for, but I was shocked that she knew what a bra even was. I can guarantee I never sat down and explained it to her. Little sponges they are indeed!

Lily’s list of words went away for awhile, but I’m bringing it back. It might seem a little obnoxious, but I promise it’s not meant that way. I don’t care if she has more or less words than the kid down the street. Being the language nerd that I am, I really am just fascinated in tracking this, and when I tried keeping a list on my computer, well, that doesn’t track the date, so I need the blog.

"Baahh"(for ball)
"Sah" (for sock)
Baby
Two (When we say "one" she says "two")
“boo-y” (for boo, as in peek-a-boo)
“noh” (for nose)
“i-wee” (for Lily)
“babu” (for Elmo)
“duh” (for duck)
"shhh" (for shoe)
Out
"booh" (for book)
No
Hi
Uh-oh
Mama (for mama)
mama (for mum mum crackers)
Dada /daddy
Nana (for Nana)
nana (for banana)
Bubba (for all four-legged furry creatures)
“Bah-bah” (for bottle)
Buh-bye
Eddie
Abbie
Up up
"Ah dah" (for all done)

And she signs:
Milk (We now call this the bat signal.)
More
Eat
All done
Her made-up sign for "I'm hurt"

Other:
She waves hi and bye
She wags her finger to say "uh unh uh" for "no"
She shakes her head "no"
She puts her finger to her mouth and says "shush"
She points to her nose, she points to mama’s nose, she points to her hair, she points to mama’s hair
And that's what Lily's talkin' 'bout this week.

2 comments:

  1. Love this entry! The scenario with the bra is so funny. Thanks for giving me my first laugh of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a lot of fun to read. I still remember Mara's first'uh-oh' when she saw an accident about to happen--it's so cute-funny-sweet. I love your word nerd list too...and admire you greatly for it...keep it up and you'll be able to publish it one day! miss yous!

    ReplyDelete