So we had the second of our four Prepared Childbirth classes last night. Last night’s class was all about pain management and relaxation. It’s nice to be informed about these things, but at the same time it’s completely freaking me out.
But we learned all about medicated labor versus an unmedicated labor. Our instructor gave us a lot of strategies for going unmedicated, from massage to aromatherapy, and other relaxation techniques. Actually, her techniques would be useful for a medicated labor, too, because apparently the doctors don’t like to give the epidural you’re 3 or 4 centimeters dilated.
So we tried out a few of the strategies. We tried “focused distraction,” where we saw how concentrating our focus on a relaxing or meaningful image could distract from the pain, or at least make it go by faster. We focused on a seashore scene and watched waves roll in. It really just made me have to pee.
And then we tried a breathing technique along with the imagery/distraction technique. We laid on the floor with our pillows and blankets and listened to the waves roll in while Kathy, our really-good-but-with-an-annoying-preschool-teacher-like-voice instructor described the sounds and the sensations of being at the beach. I think some of the moms fell asleep. But the floor was hurting my hipbone and I was annoyed by how long it was lasting. The imagery is lovely, but I’ll take the epidural, thank you very much. (Choose your words wisely if you want to challenge me on this.)
But we learned all about medicated labor versus an unmedicated labor. Our instructor gave us a lot of strategies for going unmedicated, from massage to aromatherapy, and other relaxation techniques. Actually, her techniques would be useful for a medicated labor, too, because apparently the doctors don’t like to give the epidural you’re 3 or 4 centimeters dilated.
So we tried out a few of the strategies. We tried “focused distraction,” where we saw how concentrating our focus on a relaxing or meaningful image could distract from the pain, or at least make it go by faster. We focused on a seashore scene and watched waves roll in. It really just made me have to pee.
And then we tried a breathing technique along with the imagery/distraction technique. We laid on the floor with our pillows and blankets and listened to the waves roll in while Kathy, our really-good-but-with-an-annoying-preschool-teacher-like-voice instructor described the sounds and the sensations of being at the beach. I think some of the moms fell asleep. But the floor was hurting my hipbone and I was annoyed by how long it was lasting. The imagery is lovely, but I’ll take the epidural, thank you very much. (Choose your words wisely if you want to challenge me on this.)
But my favorite pain management technique of the evening was “vocalization.” Kathy suggested that after each contraction, we could say, “Man, that contraction really hurt,” to help release the pain. I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time. Pretty sure my words will be a little more colorful.
I wont lie, contractions do hurt A LOT! The instructor's right, Doctors usually dont like to give you the epidural until you're so many centimeters dilated. With Connor, I didn't have to wait too long. But with Pearl, I had to wait about an hour! That was the longest hour I have ever lived! But afterwards, labor wasn't so painful afterall...just exhausting from the pushes. Hopefully you don't have to get the epidural and your mind is strong enough to keep a focus. I thought I was....
ReplyDelete