This year, we started with drawing a picture of Daddy.
Perhaps it needs some explanation. Here's her commentary as she was drawing:
Mommy: “What’s that?”
Lily: “A picture of Daddy. He’s going to have a smile.”
“A green nose and a green smile.”
“I made long hair for daddy. But some boys have long hair. It’s OK.”
“He’s spooky arms.”
“Now I need mud.”
Mommy: “Mud?”
“Yes. Bubbly mud.”
Mommy: “Is this a spooky picture of Daddy?”
Lily: “Yeah! A spooky picture of Daddy.”
“I’m going to put a fun bubble in the sky. And hearts.”
“I gonna put Daddy’s face in the bubble.”
Examines her work.
“And short hair!”
More examining.
In a sing-song voice: “Two faces! Two faces! Two faces!”
Lily: Hands it to me. “Here you go!”
Mommy: Points at the blob in the sky. “What’s that?”
Lily: “Daddy in the sky.” Points. “That’s Daddy in the sky, and that’s Daddy on the ground.”
Just the facts.
Mommy: “Tell me what your daddy looks like.”
Lily: “Daddy has short hairs, brown eyes, and black hair.”
Mommy: “How old is Daddy?”
Lily: “40.”
| |
Lily: “Khansay.”
Mommy: “Do you know daddy’s last name?”
Lily: “Daddy.”
Mommy: “Do you know what your last name is?”
Lily: Answers correctly.
Mommy: “Do you know what my last is?”
Lily: “Nope.” I tell her.
Mommy: “How are you and Daddy the same?”
Lily: “Daddy’s even bigger than me, but he has the same color hair as me.”
Mommy: “How are you and Daddy different?”
Lily: “Daddy likes pants and I like skirts and dress.”
| |
Lily: “He cleans all the bedrooms.”
Mommy: “What does daddy do when he’s at work?”
Lily: “I don’t know because I’m not there.”
Mommy: Laughs. “What do you guess he does at work?”
Lily: “He does he’s computer. Works on his computer.”
Favorite Things.
Mommy: “What is Daddy’s favorite food?”
Lily: “Ummm, roast bease.”
Mommy: “Favorite color?”
Lily: "Ummm, blue and green.”
Mommy: “Favorite game?”
Lily: “Go fish.”
Mommy: “Favorite TV show?”
Lily: “Curious George”
Mommy: “Favorite princess?”
Lily: “John Smith. I mean, no, Aurora. She’s a princess.”
Mommy: “Why Aurora?”
Lily: “Because she has sparkles on her and on her crown.”
Mommy: “What’s Daddy’s favorite animal?”
Lily: “A flamingo.”
Mommy: “Really? Why does daddy like flamingos?”
Lily: “Because they’re cute.”
The places we go.
Mommy: “Where does daddy like to go?
Lily: “Disney World!”
Mommy: “What’s his favorite part of Disney World?”
Lily: “Fireworks!” While waiting for me to finish writing, she has her Minnie Mouse doll say ‘Good answer!’
Mommy: “What’s Daddy’s favorite ride at Disney World?”
Lily: “The scary ride because the boat goes backwards!”
Mommy: “Do you and Daddy go to the park? What does daddy do at the park?”
Lily: “Daddy swings with me.”
Mommy: “Is that his favorite?”
Lily: “Just swings. Daddy only fits on the swings.”
Mommy: “What’s Daddy’s favorite thing to do at the beach?”
Lily: “Daddy likes to go swimming in the water.”
Mommy: “What else?”
Lily: “Building sandcastle. He knows how to build sandcastles like me.”
Mommy: “Oh, did you teach him how?”
Lily: “No. He teach me.”
Mommy: “Did Daddy teach you how to do anything else?”
Lily: “Yeah! He teach me to swim. I kick my feet and close my mouth and do my arms like this,” dog paddles with her arms, “I tell daddy to let go; I can do it by myself and I did!” Grabs Minnie and says in her Minnie voice, “Good job! I can’t swim.”
Daily life.
Mommy: “Is Daddy really good at anything?”
Lily: “Cookin’!”
Mommy: “Is he good at cleaning?”
Lily: “Yeah. “
Mommy: “What does he clean?”
Lily: “Um, the tables.”
Mommy: “What do you and Daddy do at bedtime?”
Lily: “Bedtime snack, brush teeth, go potty, read books.”
Mommy: “What’s daddy’s favorite book?”
Lily: “I’ll show you.” Goes to bookcase and digs around. Pulls out Angelina Ballerina and the Royal Wedding, which she picked up at the library, and I might not be able to ever take it back. “Ballerina and Royal Wedding.”
Mommy: “What is Daddy’s favorite bedtime snack?”
Lily: “Special treat. Ice cream on the inside and the chocolate on the outside.”
Mommy: “What is Daddy like in the morning?”
Lily: “In the morning? Daddy likes to still sleep because he’s still sleepy.”
Mommy: “What does Daddy like to do after dinner?”
Lily: “Play games.”
Mommy: “What games?”
Lily: “You said games already.”
Mommy: “Well, what games then?”
Lily: “Go Fish!”
Mommy: “Just Go Fish?”
Lily: “Go Fish is my favorite!”
Mommy: “What is something Daddy always says to you?”
Lily: “Cookie!” Giggles.
Mommy: Tries again. “What does Daddy say when he picks you up from school”?
Lily: “Can you give me a hug and a kiss.”
Mommy: “Does Daddy have any rules?”
Lily: “No tantrums. But I don’t have any more tantrums because I’m a big girl.”
Mommy: “Where do you go for walks together?”
Lily: “Beach.”
Mommy: “To the beach? The beach is kind of far.”
Lily: “The beach is way past the park!”
Mommy: “What do you do on walks with Daddy?”
“We go see some of our neighbors. We sing songs to our neighbors.”
(Note to self: Remember to ask husband how often they go caroling.)
Special occasions.
Mommy: “Has Daddy ever given you any presents?”
Lily: “Yeah to my cousins.”
Mommy: “How about presents for you?”
Lily: “A princess doll. And jelly beans. And sea shells. And lair-a-vee. Yeah! What’s on My Little Pony. Lair-a-vee.”
Mommy: “Oh, Rarity.” (Rarity is the name of one of the My Little Ponies. She actually does not own that pony.)
Mommy: “What present should we get for daddy for Father’s Day?”
Lily: “Um, the fishing game where you pull the thing because I broke the other one.”
Mommy: “What should we do for Father’s Day?”
Lily: “I can paint a picture and wrap it up. And you can hide and I can hide, and when Daddy comes home, we can yell, ‘surprise!’”
Emotions.
Mommy: “What makes Daddy sad?”
Lily: “When I don’t listen to him.”
Mommy: “What makes Daddy happy?”
Lily: “Um, Daddy goes for a walk with me.”
Mommy: “Do you know anything that makes your daddy mad?”
Lily: “Look! A frog! You forgot the yellow one, mommy.”
(Indeed, she spotted the frog that I didn’t find in the game we had just played.)
Mommy: “So what makes your daddy mad then?”
Lily: “Anything.”
Mommy: “Anything?”
Lily: “No. He always love me. Because he’s my dad!”
You got that right, little girl. And so do I.

























"Slip and fall down"
ReplyDeleteThis is so sweet, and your pictures are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThis makes me want to be a little girl again, and so happy that I have one! And ditto Mrs. W, your pictures are beautiful! My fav quote is "it's way past the park" <3
ReplyDeleteOh my- those are some amazing pictures of Lily and her Daddy- what a great idea. What a treasure to have.
ReplyDeleteYou and your family just became the most adorable family I've ever read about. Goodness, she is beautiful and this post was seriously just soooo flippin cute!
ReplyDeletegreat idea kate! thanks for sharing:)
ReplyDelete