Monday, September 12, 2011

Between the adventures: the rest of Minnesota.

Y'know, I'm kicking myself. Again.

Not so long ago, I was looking back at pictures from visits with my family, and I realized I wanted to have more pictures of people I don't see every day. More pictures of Ben, Ben, Erik, Mom, Lori, Shari, and that's just the Minnesota list. I can take pictures of Lily any day. I pretty much do take pictures of Lily any day.

Apparently, as quickly as that moment of brilliance came into my head, it flew right back out, and once again, I have 1,000 more pictures of Lily and very, very few of the family I don't see every day. No matter how overwhelmed I get with the volume of pictures I have, I have never told myself, "Too many, Kate. You should have taken fewer pictures." Yes, some(often)times I have a ton and they're difficult to organize, manage, and store, but whatever. It's worth it and I know it. 

GAH! How many times do I need to learn this lesson for it to sink in? On one hand, I kinda want to blame my family because that's so much easier for me to do. Any time I turn my lens on them, they groan and complain. But since when has that ever stopped me? I guess I needed to explain why some very important people are essentially non-existent in my photos. The lesson is I only regret the pictures I don't take.

Ok, whiny vent over, and I'll get to my point. Between visiting the many attractions in Minnesota, we spent a lot of time just hanging out at Nana's house. I.e., visiting with all those family members we see only once or twice a year (kick!).

Before we boarded the plane out of Florida summer misery, I had many daydreams of just sitting outside. In these daydreams, I usually had a glass of wine in one hand and a camera in the other. Lily would play with bubbles and sidewalk chalk. And Husband and I relaxed while Lily played with my mom, brothers, my would-be brother-in-law (one day I hope), and my aunts. (And that's just my Minnesota list.)

Daydreams really do come true.

We blew oodles of bubbles.
We walked around the neighborhood. Ben carried Lily by her ankles.
I took pictures of sticks for no real reason. (But I kinda like it.)

I tinkered with understanding depth of field. Shallow. On a plane. Got it. 
We grilled out. Nothin' says midwest summer like corn on the cob.
We sat around the yard a lot. Lily loved her pink umbrella and the rest of us tried not to get our eyes poked out with it. Turns out my older brother looks just as handsome with a pink umbrella as my little brother.
Speaking of my younger brother, I'm not sure how it happened, but somehow he let Lily pretend he was a slide. I'm thinking he had not yet learned how long it can take before she'll get tired or bored with things like this. But then he somehow turned it into more carrying her around by her ankles. Well played, bro.
Oh, and guess what, Brandy. The pterodactyl is back. Ben instructed Lily on how to screech and flap properly. 
And she  practiced. Fortunately, that little game hasn't resurfaced. Yet. Let's just say the sound effects are not pleasant.
Y'know, there was one time that I had the camera out and took lots of pictures of everyone.

We walked to the park. The park had a giant hill. We *all* rolled down the hill, Buttercup/Dread Pirate Roberts style. Me, Khan, Ben, Nana, Shari, Lori, and Lily.  Rolling. Down a hill.

However, the only one of us who can pull off that look with any dignity, is Lily. And so I shall spare the rest of us posting those pictures for eternity on the interwebz, but if you all should know I have some very blackmail-worthy photos.
Although I missed a lot of great shots (GRR), I did get a few new ones. Lily knows how to play Nana.
And I adore this shot of Erik, Ben, and Lily.
But this one of Lily and her Nana is my definitely among my favorite pictures ever. Not sure if I like it better in color or black and white. Color, I think.

1 comment:

  1. Lily with her uncles? Darling! (and oh, I do remember that pink umbrella; it reminded me of what my father often said if one complained about something: It's better than a poke in the eye with a big stick! or in this case, an umbrella!) And I really wish you'd posted a picture of ONE of your aunts, who finally let dignity go for a roll down that hill. But you're right; once on the webz, forever there... and great blackmail stuff! Wish I'd been there longer, but since I was not free to drive, well, I just obeyed orders! Wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete