And my big girl, four months old

Indulge my pity party, if you will.
I'm beginning to feel like my baby will forget who I am. First, I had a short weekend, only two days. I know, I know, but it makes a big difference. Then, I had to go in to the office for what should've been 2-3 hours but became 5 hours.
But yesterday was the worst. Lily was asleep when I left in the morning. I got a call from day care in the afternoon that she was refusing her bottles. I spent the next hour worrying about her. Then Khan called and told me day care reported she woke up happy from her nap and was eating as normal. I was still worried, though not as much. Then I had to work late, so Khan got to pick Lily up and I had to stop at the grocery store on my way home. Just as I was about to turn into Publix, my phone rang and Lily was hungry. So I went home, nursed Lily, and she fell back to sleep. I went to the grocery store. Came home, and Lily was rubbing her eyes. As I was putting the groceries away, Khan put Lily to sleep. And that's how much I saw my baby yesterday.
Of course, I'm lucky to have my job, and I know that. The bright side of all of this is that I'll have to leave early on Wednesday because of the extra hours I've put in, and I won't be returning until next Tuesday.
Every small-talk discussion with other parents always has the same thing: how the time flies. Moms and dads look back at the memories of their babies when they were smaller. In my infinite wisdom with my four months of parenting experience, I know that this is a given. Time will keep flying by, and there's nothing I can do to stop it. The only thing I can do is to do my best to savor every moment while I'm in it, so that I can look back fondly rather than with regret.
So starting tomorrow afternoon, I'll have five and a half days of solid quality time with my baby girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment